Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sesame Street Turns 40: Reflections of a 30-year-old Woman



Today, Sesame Street turns 40.

Growing up as a little girl with an incredibly active imagination, it was SO much more than just a kid's educational, entertainment show for me.

Looking back, I realize that it was more of a religious experience for me and it was the type of show that - as a single child at the time (before the sis came into my life) - I absolutely thrived and flourished on, and that fed my creative, inquisitive soul...every. single. day.

I would excitedly come back home from school, hastily do my homework, take a warm shower, all in time for the first note of the show's opening theme song. I remember throwing tantrum fits, much to my parents' chagrin and frustration, if I realized that I was running "late" and could possibly miss the opening note.

I would put on my favorite PJs, grab my favorite blankie and my favorite cats (at the time) and settle in my "picnic/sleep fort" in front of the TV (till this day, I have no idea why our TV was on cinder blocks for a while!)

Gathering the troops

As I watched the show, my mom would either bring me my dinner, or if I wasn't terribly hungry that night, a warm bottle of Ovaltine milk (yes, I used to drink milk from a baby's bottle even though I was 5 years old...SO SUE ME!!)

The troops remain loyal even when abandoned for moving images on the TV screen

I had no idea - nor did I care - what the political climate of the time was, what the latest headlines were, or how the economy was doing, but the one thing I did know for sure - and truly cared about - was that when that opening song came on, my friends: Maria, Gordon, Big Bird, Snufalufagus, Bert & Ernie, Cookie Monster, Oscar, Count, Elmo, Kermit, Grover and company, were all going to make (my lil world) a much better place.

Looking back and reflecting on the last 40 years of The Street, floods me with a swell of emotions: happiness, nostalgia, fondness, longing and innocence.

Sometimes, as a 30-year-old woman trying to be an adult and find herself in this big, bad, ugly, cruel world, all I want to do is take a warm shower, grab my kitties around me, snuggle up on my couch "picnic/sleep fort" and wait for that opening note and the chance to belt my lil heart out...about a time where innocence - truly - once existed for me...




Sunny Day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet

Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Sesame Street

Come and play
Everything's A-OK
Friendly neighbors there
That's where we meet

Can you tell me how to get
How to get to Sesame Street

It's a magic carpet ride
Every door will open wide
To Happy people like you--
Happy people like
What a beautiful

Sunny Day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet

Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Sesame street...
How to get to Sesame Street
How to get to...

No comments: